• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jósef Beck

Corporal
61 Badges
Aug 28, 2009
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Lead and Gold
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Majesty 2
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
header_title9glu.png
This is going to be an AAR about The Habsburg Empire, starting in 1836. I have made some special events as this AAR is going to be unhistorical; January 1, 1836 is the point of divergence. I am going to write in a history-book-like scheme and put as many maps and charts into the AAR as I can. The maps will be drawn by myself.

bookohie.gif

Please notice, that I am not a native English speaker but attended English classes since 6th grade. This AAR will be particularly written for improving my writing skills and preparing myself for the IELTS, which I am planning to take early next year. I would be very, very happy if some native speakers following my AAR will give me some advice and correct crucial mistakes in my text. :) I am not very skilled in playing Victoria II, this being my first game by PI I have seriously played. So please be merciful with me. :)

TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter I. - Europa 1836.
Chapter II. - Austrian Expansion
Chapter III
Chapter IV - Struggle with the Bear

CHAPTER I

europa1836aebf.png
The Habsburg Empire suffered a lot since the Napoleonic Wars. Though conquering most of Europe, Napoleon was defeated in Moscow. The death toll was high; very high. Austria had also to get rid of the German Emperor’s crown. In the following conferences, however, that were held in Vienna, Habsburg hosted the stars of the European politics. The Vienna Congress, moreover, was put in the focus of the whole European upper class. All major politicians, from Talleyrand to Metternich, were invited and a new order for the continent was set. Austria was now considered as one of the eight Great Powers. This was the legacy of Franz the First, which Ferdinand I. now had to deal with after the sudden death of the first. The new Emperor of Austria was born in 1793 in Vienna. As juvenile, Ferdinand probably suffered from epilepsy and hydrocephaly. Nevertheless, he received a special education and was still the legal heir. In 1835, he finally inherited the Austrian throne and became Emperor of the Habsburgian Lands. (‘Kaisertum Österreich’)

And this has been the situation that he had to contend with in 1836:
The economy was all but developed; one could have even said non-existent. Whilst Austria had hardly any factories, she possessed considerable amounts of coal in the North. Also the Eastern part is known for its respectable wood and timber supplies.
Several minorities were demanding civil rights as well as autonomy from the Crown. In addition, Austria’s brother-state Prussia was rising and assuming leadership among the North German States. From the South, the Ottoman Empire was trying to regain his former Serbian and Hungarian territories. One must not also forget the threat lifted by the mighty Russian Empire. The bottom line is: Austria is facing major problems and it is not clear whether she will overcome all problems or whether she will fail and fall into oblivion.

Habsburgian Atlas, page 1: Europa 1836.

One can imagine how difficult this must have been, since the Emperor was mentally disabled. Therefore, a Secret Conference was established, which had supposedly the real power of the Empire. It was composed out of four high appreciated Austrians, one of which was Metternich, though he was not the chairman of the institution. The other men were: Archduke Louis of Austria, Archduke Franz Carl of Austria (the Emperor’s brother) and Metternich’s Antagonist Count Franz Anton von Kolowrat-Liebsteinsky.

After days and weeks of discussion, a general plan was made: The Austrian sphere in Northern Italy was to be given up; instead, the main focus was set on Southern Germany: Prussian Sigmaringen was to acquire for excluding the Prussians of Southern Germany. Another big problem to approach was the minority question. Whilst the Devolution, that is the act of giving power from a central authority or government to an authority or a government in a local region, was in favour of Count Franz Anton and Franz Carl, Metternich supported a hard oppression and undoubted governance out of Vienna.

Habsburgian Atlas, page 2: minorities 1836.

But now the war against Prussia had to be prepared. The Austrian forces involved 96’000 men, 18’000 of them staying in Austria and Hungary for defending against possible rebels. On January 1, 1936 a surprising offer by the Belgian government was accepted, thus allying the Empire with Belgium. Alliance proposals were also sent to Bavaria, Wurttemberg and Baden. But all this was not enough, the Council looked forward to ally with at least one further Great Power, though it was clear that none of them would join the Austrian war. On January 2, the I, II. & III and IV Armies were given order to move to Innsbruck, Tesin and Königsgrätz respectively. The same day, a decision to explore transportation technologies was set and Eduard Gerlich hired. Though having no leader, the Austrian Imperial Navy set sails and departed in the direction of the Balticum. January, 3 saw the allying with Two Sicilies and Krakow. Does one care about tiny wars in Central Asia? No, one does not. Therefore, the Anglo-Nepalese War will not be further mentioned. Very significant, however, is the Anglo-French Alliance, signed on January 7.

In the middle of the month, news arrived in Vienna, that Prussia and the UK signed an alliance. Thus, a simple war against Prussia would be impossible. After a month or so, new taxes were introduced. Hitherto set for all people to 50%, they were cut down on 12%, 8% and 0%. Nevertheless the state was swimming in money. Metternich’s plan to improve the economy worked out and in the end of February, the furniture factory was to be expanded. As soon as possible, an alliance offer to France was sent, though it was rejected immediately.

On May 6, however, the Austrian ambassador in Berlin passed over a declaration of war. Only a few hours later, all Prussian and Austrian allies joined the war, except the UK on Prussian and Sardinia-Piemont on Austrian side. The whole war was bloody and exhausting. Shortly after the campaign’s beginning, Austrian troops were defeated in Liegnitz on June 27. The I. Army besieged Sigmaringen, eventually conquering it on August 14. Meanwhile, the whole Austrian Imperial Army was annihilated in the Balticum, thus leaving Austria without any ships.

mett_kolovqi34.gif

But the tide was turning. After the successful occupation of Prussian Kattowitz, several Prussian Brigades invading Bohemia were destroyed. In the decisive battle of Weimar, however, the united South German forces suffered more than 30’000 men.
Whilst war was going on, the new Upper House was to reassemble. Main winners of the political momentum were the Conservatives, who raised their percentage to 62.6%. The Liberals on the other hand lost more than 2 percent. Therefore, Metternich’s position was improved in contrast to the Liberals.

The year 1837 saw the finishing of the railroad exploration and the first railroad tracks. Moreover, the Secret Council decided to emphasize the Army’s technologies and yet was supporting the Army Professionalism.
The war was finally coming to an end – Prussia had to fight on several fronts, of which the Belgian one was the most exposed. Vienna was still wondering, however, when the Belgian government decided to claim the Nordrhein region. This demand was neither supported by Austria nor by any other ally.
After all, on July 6 Prussia received a peace offer, suggesting to hand over Sigmaringen to Austria. Their forces had been too spread to become any danger. The Belgian claim was not even discussed. Two days later, the contract was signed in Prague and the troops demobilized. The hitherto existent and strong Holy Alliance, however, was finally dissolved.

The war showed clearly, how unable Austria was. Unprofessional, unskilled troops were marching across Bohemia and Silesia, without any serious plan. The whole Bohemian front was full of gaps and lacking a serious military infrastructure. Therefore, Metternich suggested to build new brigades, in particular cavalry units. Also, a new Kriegsmarine shall be build. Meanwhile, the furniture factory expanded, despite the state’s lacking funds.

-----

Comments are highly desired. :)

Last edited:
Firstly, let me just say that your pictures, maps and graphics are excellent. How did you make them?
Also, a new Marine shall be build.
As for your English, it is on the whole very good. The quoted text above (shall be build rather than shall be built) is the only mistake I can see.

I would also recommend using either Kriegsmarine or Navy rather than Marine (I assume you meant ships when you said Marine, as to my knowledge marines do not exist in VII)

Thank You, Tanzhang.
The maps were done with Adobe Illustrator. First, I copied a template and redrew all boundaries, cities, rivers etc.. Secondly, I allocated colors, strokes and styles. And in the end, there was of course some fine tuning.

Concerning the mistake, "build" was a foolish typo. ;) But your assumption was right, since "marine" and "Marine" (German) are known as false friends. I will correct that, thank you. :)

It all looks quite good, text blocks are quite readable and broken into paragraphs, atlas looks awesome (although change 'Adriatic Sea' for it's Germanic name).
One must not also forget the threat lifted by the mighty Russian Empire.
Change 'lifted' to 'imposed' (otherwise you imply the Russian Empire removes a threat).
'Balticum' is your only use of a non-English name in the text - for consistency use Baltic/Baltic Sea, or introduce it as follows:
Also, a new Kriegsmarine shall be build.
Also, a new Imperial Navy ("Kriegsmarine") shall be built.
Then you can use the foreign term as much as you like.

I love AARs where the point of divergence is before the timespan of the game. And this is quite an AAR! It seems the most of the things most noticeable to a native speaker have been ironed out by the very attentive crew here- but I'll stay on board both to enjoy the future journey of Austria and lend whatever help I can. Good luck on the IELTS- English is a crazy unintuitive language, although quite fun. :) You seem to have a fine grasp of it!

Viden, Van5: Thank you. :)
Communitarian: Well, you have to see my recent exams, I have not done very well. ;)

I am, however, very encouraged by all your posts and hope to publish Chapter II Wednesday at latest. It really makes fun to write this AAR, as the reactions are so positive - I had never expected this! :)

Great first AAR so far, and Austria too, consider me sold on it :D

Your written English is better than most native speakers I know, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. And I'm very much looking forward to how this goes, as well as the maps!

Ahh, finally another Austrian AAR, and an invitation to correct grammar?
How could I resist.
Now I must confess I'm hardly native english speaker and make a lot of mistakes myself especially when writing fast (which I always do), still, if I put my 'teacher's hat' on I can find few rather minor things that 'sound funny'...

The economy was all but developed

"All but" would in my mind mean 'nearly' or 'almost', I'm not sure if this is what you wanted to say?

In the following conferences, however, that were held in Vienna, Habsburg hosted the stars of the European politics.

That 'however' feels out of place, making the sentence bit messy, cut out completely or start with it?

Still, I agree that was better than most native english speakers write, then again, that's not really very high standart nowdays. Might be I just end up reading too many opinions written by young people, who don't even want to write properly...

But of course, this depends on what IELTS actually is? If it's for exam to be qualified translator you may have a problem :p Other than that, you should be fine.

Excellent AAR start! I always love Vicky AARs about Austria that feature Metternich!

Since you asked for grammar nitpicking, here we go. Most of it is minor, and your writing is better than I have to read at work from professionals for whom English is their first language and who should know better.

Austria had also to get rid of the German Emperor’s crown.

Simplest fix: "Austria also had to get rid..."
More correct: "Austria was forced to get rid..."

This was the legacy of Franz the First, which Ferdinand I. now had to deal with after the sudden death of the first.

Typically, when used in personal names, roman numerals do not get a period. Also, the ending of the sentence probably should read "...death of Franz".

As juvenile, Ferdinand probably suffered from epilepsy and hydrocephaly.

As /a/ juvenile.

Nevertheless, he received a special education and was still the legal heir.

Amusing - in the US, special education is given to people with disabilities/special needs. Austria was ahead of its time! :)

Also the Eastern part is known for its respectable wood and timber supplies.

Conjunctions (such as also and but) generally should not be used to start a sentance. In informal writing it is somewhat more accepted, but definitely not in formal writing.

Prussian Sigmaringen was to acquire for excluding the Prussians of Southern Germany.

"was to acquire" mixes tenses (past/present). Try "was to be acquired".

Whilst the Devolution, that is the act of giving power from a central authority or government to an authority or a government in a local region, was in favour of Count Franz Anton and Franz Carl, Metternich supported a hard oppression and undoubted governance out of Vienna.

Again, mixed tenses (probably one of the easiest grammatical mistakes for anyone to make). Try "...was favoured by..." instead of "...was in favor..."

On January 1, 1936 a surprising offer by the Belgian government was accepted, thus allying the Empire with Belgium.

I assume you mean 1836. :) Also, typically commas are used after dates in this context, though I'm not sure it's strictly required.

January, 3 saw the allying with Two Sicilies and Krakow.

Commas aren't used between month and day. Best usage here is probably January 3rd.

In the decisive battle of Weimar, however, the united South German forces suffered more than 30’000 men.

Typically, you would either want to use "...suffered more than 30,000 casualties" or "...lost more than 30,000 men".

Whilst war was going on, the new Upper House was to reassemble.

Try "...was reassembled".

Last edited:
Forgiven, naggy: Thanks for these very detailed explanations. :) I have to confess that I was writing quite fast and had not the time to look through every single sentence. I was in fact well aware of some rules and common mistakes, e.g. "Also,..." or "January, 3".
I am going to update the AAR today. :)

CHAPTER II
austrian_expansionvrco.png

A great step towards a unified Germany was the creation of the South German Federation on purpose of Kolowrat-Liebsteinsky (Remember, the guy who opposed Metternich ;)), happening on August 1, 1837. It was meant to become a considerable counterpart of Prussia, although it was consequently handled as an Austrian marionette. The same day, a general plan for railroad building was announced: A major line between Vienna and Prague shall be built. By the time it was ended, several other destinations had already been planned.
On August 13, an alliance with Switzerland was signed. Later that day the Secret Council met and agreed on reorganizing and strengthening the Austrian Army. In particular, six main armies emerged from the soldiers’ pool, of which the Vienna Army was the largest (at the beginning 20.000 men). Brigades were moving all across the country, eventually forming in Vienna, Königgrätz, Zagreb, Stryj, Triest and Budapest. More than 20.000 men were to recruit, thus raising the Austrian Army on the 5th rank of the world. Metternich, who stood for a policy of reconciliation and peace, disagreed with the new army order.
This huge movement of armies probably impressed Austria’s neighbors, as on September 1 an alliance pact with the sick man of Europe, that is the Ottoman Empire, was signed. While they were still negotiating, another treaty with the SGF introduced a political and economic, though not military union. From now on, the head of state of Austria was also considered as the head of state of the SGF, thus securing Austria’s influence in the SGF.
Both autumn and winter 1837 were not very interesting, as nothing of big importance arose. On January 1, however the new upper house was appointed. It has seen the biggest amount of liberals since 1836; they held 24.05 per cent of the upper house, a relative gain of 1,15 percentages in comparison to last year.
Big news also arrived in Vienna, when the Free State of Cracow was revolting. Soon, the former independent state was occupied by Austrian troops, after Vienna and Moscow had consulted each other. The official incorporation followed on February 27. There were no complaints from other countries, as they did not care much about the fate of a small state like Cracow as far as they were not concerned themselves. The biggest advantage of annexing Cracow was probably the new fabric factory. There were, however, some internal conflicts as Kolovrat supported a pro-Polish policy and a half-autonomous Cracowian Province. Eventually, he gave up his proposition and agreed to the incorporation into the Galician Province.
A high economic momentum succeeded the incorporation. During summer, the two existing factories were expanding. Whilst the army was being improved as well and was reaching the pre-war level, two major events happened: Firstly, Texas sought statehood in the US, a request which was warmly accepted. Secondly, the Treaty of Utrecht was signed by both Belgium and the Netherlands, acknowledging formally the independence of Belgium.
Autumn 1838 brought the first escalation of the conflict between Metternich and Kolovrat. The former was clearly defeated in the Sigmaringen War issue, although Metternich still was enjoying his Majesty’s support. Kolovrat on the other hand was presenting himself as a wise and self-confident statesman, upon whom one could build. His suggestions were always well explained and reasonable. Therefore, the Secret Council and the Emperor himself were persuaded by his new railroad plans. A smaller disagreement was also brought up upon what to do with the SGF. Both tariff union and economic union were already established, but nevertheless Kolovrat suggested a whole incorporation of the dependent state, whilst Metternich wished to relation the SGF as a reliable ally, for showing the world Austria’s peaceful purposes.

Habsburgian Atlas, page 3: Kolovrat's railroad plans at about 1839.

The government were so wealthy that they could even afford cutting the tariffs. From September 28 on, any good imported to the Habsburg Empire was not dutiable anymore. The conflict between Metternich and Kolovrat, however, was still holding on. Neither of them could withdraw of his positions, therefore evoking a strained atmosphere in every single council session. Both also tried to be supported by the Emperor, who was not willing to commit himself to one of both.
The conflict was also not solved by the new Upper House, appointed on January 1, 1839. The Liberals reached an all-time high, climbing to 24.97% of the available seats. Conservatives lost again, falling from 61.80% to 60.24%. In February 1839, the Treaty of London was signed, eventually acknowledging the undisputed independence of Belgium by any of the Great Powers. As a junior ally of Austria, it was of utmost importance to strengthen the Belgian position, thus Habsburg achieved her goal.
On February 24, Kolovrat carried away another victory as Army Professionalism was fully discovered and applied to the Austrian troops. The whole army was now considered much stronger and able to defend its homeland. As a consequence, research concentrated now on naval technologies such as the Steamers. Metternich still tried to create an image for oneself as a strong and conservative statesman, who refused any modern technologies. No doubt that he was on a lost position, as Austria had hardly won the first Austro-Prussian War and an investment into the military research was therefore crucial.

Habsburgian Atlas, page 4: Habsburg's alliance system

Another striking event was the bloody resolve of the Polish Trade Union (Polski Związek Zawodowy) in May. Formed after the annexation of Krakow, it was a main underground movement for Polish statehood and ethnical equality. But as soon as the Government has found out about the Trade Union, they decided, influenced by Metternich, to crush the Union immediately. But the resistors had also weapons, what no one had expected. Moreover, six Austrian soldiers were killed as well as 40 or so Polish unionists. Widespread outrage occurred, as soon as people learned about this disaster. Metternich was considered to be fully responsible for this catastrophe and was thus expelled from the Emperor’s court. He had no contacts left. The big era Metternich ended thus and Kolovrat had no serious rival anymore. The Secret Council was formally dissolved and Kolovrat put into the position of the newly established Prime Minister. He was now Franz’ most important advisor and had therefore as many friends as enemies. Nevertheless, from now on, no one would stop him modernizing the Austrian state. What had been a moderate improvement hitherto, turned into a radical und inexorable modernization process.

Holy dice roll - I love those atlas pages. :) They are absolutely awesome and lend a completely different feeling to the AAR.

I can't nitpick your grammar much - you seem to notice the quirks in retrospect. Two things stood out though - "A high economic momentum succeeded the incorporation." Succeeded could be proceeded, and "The big era Metternich" could be "The great era of Metternich". Gross is hard to translate because like many English-German words it's so close, but not quite. :/ I love the English language, but party of me would be happy if it had been more Saxon-influenced- giving us an excuse to know both Saxon-English and Court French! Win-win! Anyway, linguistics babble over.

A great series of events for Kolovrat and for Austria as well. However, with events steamrolling towards the future, will everything remain stable in the Hapsburg state? Will it even remain guided by the Hapsburgs? I both fear and am exhilerated to see the future unfold!